We need stress. It allows a flight or flight response in an emergency, is motivating and stimulating, but the stress levels we are seeing in modern life are excessively high and are a massive factor in the adult acne epidemic that is happening. Acne loves stress.
It is an evolutionary necessity, but modern life is to see the stress hormone cortisol come out of nowhere and the consequences are increasingly worrying. Among health problems like fatigue, insomnia, headaches and chronic pain, I constantly hear from my clients that they are identifying stress as an acne trigger.
So how does stress and cortisol hormone affect the skin?
- it’s inflammatory
- gets dirty with blood sugar levels
- suppresses your immunity making you more prone to infection
- which releases other hormones like progesterone out of balance
- can reduce fertility by closing reproductive function
- increases oil production and congestion on the skin
Try it, do not guess. Finding your levels to know exactly what we are dealing with is imperative to treat acne from a fundamental level. The salivary hormone test is an accurate way to evaluate your levels as part of a comprehensive hormonal analysis.
So what can be done about it? There are many lifestyle and diet measures that I will discuss on an individual basis in consultation, to support the moderation of cortisol levels. And, according to test results, a herbal prescription and nutritional medication will be given to bring the body back into balance and help you achieve optimum physical and emotional health and clear and shiny skin!
Feel how stress is getting on top of you and sabotaging your skin health? Here are some lifestyle adjustments you can start to make now to get clear skin ball rolling:
- keep blood sugar constant by eating small regular meals and adequate protein
- get some quality zzz, aim for 8-10 hours of sleep per night
- go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning
- reduce caffeine and alcohol
- exercise in moderation – skip high intensity things and opt for yoga, pilates, walking or swimming
- Learn to say “no” and time manages to enjoy “my time”
- For the hormones to be evaluated, make an appointment here